7.18.2009

The Blessing of Friends... and Pandora :)

I am so thankful for my dear women friends. There was a time during college that I was incredibly lonely for female friends, although completely smitten by my boyfriend (now husband :). There is just something about talking to a dear sister that can never be matched. For a time, most of my dear friends were in different states. And some of them still are. Actually, one will be leaving for Nigeria soon! But I am learning that distance doesn't matter so much. Sisters are sisters, no matter how many miles separate us. And for a time, most of my women friends were in completely different life stages than I... and most of them still are. But that doesn't matter so much. With God as our common Father, and Jesus as our common Love, the other differences that could threaten to rip our friendships apart are just so small.

And Praise God, he has provided new friendships to me as well! He knew that I needed some girls to just hang out with, to get to know, and to share life with. These ladies are mainly in similar life situations, and are also sisters... and I am so blessed to have them in my life. They forgive my busyness, my baby-focused-ness, my tendency to share and then withdraw. And I am praying that God will give me the courage to be vulnerable, and to make the time to be a good friend.

Now that I have a family of my own, I am learning that it takes intentionality to be a good friend. When I was younger, friendships were so natural. I saw my friends every day in school, went to church with them, shared extra-curriculars with them. Now, my life generally revolves around providing for and caring for my family. Friends sometimes seem like a luxury. And yet I know they are a necessity! God has called Christians to live in community, to share life. It is selfish to only focus on my own family. Yes, they are my main priority after God. But I am not loving God and my family if I am not also loving others, and allowing them to love me.

On another topic, I have recently discovered Pandora.com. Pandora allows you to create your own radio station, based on specific songs or artists you choose. Then it finds related songs and adds them to the station. I have discovered some new Christian artists that are amazing! (Alli Rogers, Jon Foreman). And, it's a helpful way to listen to music at work. :)

Here are the lyrics to one of my new favorite songs, Who is this God, by Alli Rogers:

All the way down, all the way down to where I fell
I stare at the ground, blood that I have spilled
But just to feed me you bend all the way down
All the way down to where I fell

Who is this God that loves me still?
This love that keeps me safe when I run
Safe when I'm young and foolish
Out of the dark, out of the dark that hides my face

I'm coming apart when you say my name
With ties of love you lead me out of the dark
Out of the dark that hides my face

Who is this God that loves me still?
This love that heals me when I am bound
When I am found and humble

With love you lead me
You bend to feed me
Taught me to walk
It was you all along

Who is this God that loves me still?
This love that finds me when I am lost
Although it cost you everything

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!