9.13.2010

Let's be real.

I'll post some cute 2-year-old pictures soon, but for now, I just want to express some real emotion. Sometimes it's terrifying to be a parent. Don't get me wrong - it's joy and laughter and smiles so much of the time. But sometimes things happen that just make you want to crawl in a hole and hide...

This weekend was full of preparation for J's second birthday party. Plenty of things went wrong during said preparation, because I'm not a professional chef, and I happen to have a short fuse (God's working on it. And so am I.). At least twice as I was cracking eggs this weekend, the force of my fingers caused the egg to explode - all. over. my. outfit. I have this natural reaction when things like that happen... my husband calls it screaming. I prefer to call it a shriek. Anyway, it was loud and sounded like "AAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!"

So yesterday, as my (awesomely helpful) husband was taking the garbage out, the (empty) trash can fell over. And what did said 2-year-old do? Let's just say it sounded a lot like his mommy.

When you realize they're watching you... it's scary. When you see them copying you... it's terrifying.

This post inspired me to start memorizing scripture again on a regular basis. My first verse is the one she recommended:   “…take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life God desires.” James 1:19-20

Oh, Lord, let the things J copies be the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and self-control Your Spirit is growing in me! I know that by Your power, my frustration can become peace, and my anger can become patience. When I want to hide in a hole, let me hide in the shadow of Your wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!